Droid X2 Receives First Custom ROM Via XDA
Motorola Droid X2 with a locked bootloader has received its first custom ROM from Android developer c21johnson. The developer has posted his achievement on the XDA forum along with the link to download it for your handset.
The custom ROM for Droid X2 is mostly covering the performance enhancement factors improving the battery backup on your Droid X2. However, the first ROM will open the gate for more custom ROMs with big visual changes.
The Droid X2 ROM from c21johnson will free your handset from all the bloatware and does offer a few visual changes. The instruction to install the custom ROM on Droid X2:
- Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
- Install recovery
- Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
- Boot into Recovery using the APK
- [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
- [optional] Clear Cache
- Choose Install .zip from SD
- Choose SD card
- Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
- Confirm install
- Reboot once installation is complete
- When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than “Moto input method”
Before installing the new custom ROM you must first root your Android phone, and then you can use the bootstrap utility to install the new ROM, which is much easier and convenient.
Developer is also promising more custom ROMs and even a method to overclock the Droid X2 in the coming weeks and months.