Let me introduce to you an Android handset with a 4 inch Super AMOLED display, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and 4G support- Samsung Epic 4G. Interestingly it’s the Sprint’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S Pro. Well I could already see Samsung pursuing its goal of capturing 10% of the global smartphone market. Actually Samsung has launched its Galaxy S with different carrier under different names: Sprint will have it as Epic 4G, Verizon as the Fascinate, T-Mobile as Vibrant, AT&T as the Captivate and US Cellular as the Galaxy S. While Vibrant, Galaxy S and Fascinate are keyboard less phones the Sprint version of Galaxy S has a slide out keyboard.
The Samsung Epic will join the HTC EVO as Sprint’s second phone to support their 4G WiMAX network. Although both the phones have similar features, But Epic might strike a goal with its QWERTY keyboard, faster processor, faster graphics processor, and Super AMOLED display. Epic will ship with Android 2.1 and an update to Android 2.2 is expected in the near future. We expect Epic to sell for around $199 with 2yr contract and might be launched later this summer.
Now lets eye its specifications:
- Android 2.1, with access to more than 50,000 apps on Android Market
- Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor
- 3G/4G capability with 4-inch Super AMOLED capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom
- Google full HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
- Visual voicemail, YouTube , and syncs with Google Calendar, other Google mobile services like Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail,
- Dual camera: 5 MP camera/camcorder with autofocus, Power LED flash and 3x digital zoom for HD video (720p) recording for capture and playback on an HD television and front facing VGA camera for video chat and more
- Qik video application for video chat service and live video sharing
- Samsung’s exclusive AllShare service to wirelessly share stored music, pictures and HD video to other DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified home electronics, including HDTVs, monitors, digital cameras, printers and more.
- Samsung Social Hub integrates all of the user’s social networking services, messages, personal and business email, calendars and contacts, and can display calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar and social networking services together in one view with two-way synchronization
- Future access to the Samsung Media Hub, a full library of video and literary content powered by some of the biggest names in entertainment
- Sprint applications including Sprint Football Live, Sprint Navigation Sprint TV, and NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR and built-in WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n
- Digital compass, six-axis motion sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
- Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery with 1 GB ROM, 512 MB RAM memory (expandable memory: 16 GB microSD card included; supports up to 32 GB)